Thank you to everyone who donated their pennies in our recent penny drive. We raised a total of $375.00 which we donated to “Free the Children” to continue their wonderful work around the world. Thank you for your generous donation.
“Your Pennies can bring life to Millions”
Pink Day Assembly
In keeping with our anti-bullying initiatives the Safe & Caring school committee has organized a Pink Day assembly on February 27th @ 9:15am. All students are encouraged to wear their pink tie-dye T-shirt from last year or anything pink.
We will be recognizing one student from each class who continuously displays all the positive character attributes. Also, at this assembly we will be launching an Anti-bullying button competition, where students will be invited to design our own STOP BULLYING button. The winner of this competition will be declared at our next PINK DAY assembly in April.
Last week the Swansea Design Team held their first meeting. We met the architect team and reviewed our concerns about our school – location of washrooms, drop off and pick up area for students, lack of lunchroom space and security in the kindergarten area. We will be meeting regularly for the next 2 months and then we will have a preliminary design to show our community.
Ministry of Education French As A Second Language Framework
The Ministry of Education has released a new document to help school boards and schools in Ontario maximize opportunities for students to reach their full potential in French as a second language – A Framework for French as a Second Language in Ontario Schools, Kindergarten to Grade 12.
The Framework sets out:
- the ministry’s vision and goals for FSL;
- a range of suggested actions that will help boards work towards the achievement of these goals;
- the role of parents and communities in supporting FSL and ways in which boards can strengthen this role and respond to questions and concerns; and
- an overview of research findings related to FSL to help educators in their decision making.
This document can be accessed through the Ministry of Education web site using the following link: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/amenagement/frameworkFLS.pdf
Swansea Historical Project
Mr. Higgins is doing a twitter-based local history project with his 8B English class. Students are using primary source material to tweet about life since the beginning of Swansea, in the school and community at large. Follow us at https://twitter.com/SwanseaRetweets.
- February 26, 27 and 28th – Kindergarten Registration
- February 26th – Pizza Day
- February 27th – PINK DAY
- February 27th – 6:15 pm – Graduation Committee meeting
- March 6th – 6:45 pm – Education Committee
- March 11 – 15 – March Break